Saturday, July 27, 2013

Granola

Have you ever looked at the ingredients of a store bought granola bar? There is a lot of good stuff but almost all (only a small few don't) have high fructose corn syrup.

Personally, I'm very tried of high fructose corn syrup in everything. 

I'm watching the sugar (sweetener) content of what I eat. As a whole we don't need all this refined sugar in our diets. A little is ok, but not a lot.

Ok, I'm sorry, I'll stop lecturing about healthy eating (for now) and get on to the yumminess!! Or rather healthy yumminess.

I got this from Shape Magazine and altered it to make it a little tastier.
And yes, another post with oatmeal in it. :)


GRANOLA

  preheat 325 degrees
2 tablespoons all natural peanut butter
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup old fashioned oats
1/4 cup almonds
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup reduced sugar craisins

-You can add other nuts and other fruit or nothing at all. Just the oats.

Add peanut butter and honey in a large mixing bowl. Then place in microwave for 20 seconds (just enough to heat up the two to mix well).



Add vanilla and mix until combined.



Then add your oats, and other add ins. Use a spatula to mix together, scraping sides often. Make sure that everything is evenly coated.



Next place on a baking sheet covered with foil, sprayed lightly with cooking spray. Or use whatever method you prefer. (I use silcone baking mats. o.m.g. I LOVE them)



Flatten and spread out the granola thin enough for even baking but not too thin. You want it to bake together in one large sheet.



Bake for 10 minutes at 325 degrees.

Let cool for at least a couple of hours so it's nice and hard, then carefully brake it up into large clumps.



Now it's really to eat. You can eat it by itself or add to yogurt or a topping for ice cream.


 All the ingredients

 A mixture of cashews and raw almonds

 Dried banana chips

 Raisins and craisins

I make one batch for me with the raisins and craisins. And another batch for my hubby, he doesn't like the same thing so I leave out those.



No comments:

Post a Comment